So far this year, in the Phoenix area alone, there have been 2 child drowning deaths resulting from 21 water related incidents*
Hacienda HealthCare believes that water safety awareness is something everyone should be concerned about all year long. It takes only inches of water for a small child to drown so taking extra safety steps at home and around pools, spas and all bodies of water can prevent drowning incidents.
Hacienda HealthCare has teamed up with Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona, SRP, and Pool Safely, promote Water Safety and Drowning Prevention throughout The Valley. Thanks to our Safety & Prevention sponsor State Farm, Hacienda HealthCare provides Safety Kits to members of the community to engage families in learning more about water safety with fun, educational materials.
A few water safety tips to remember…
- It takes just minutes for a child to die underwater
- Don’t be overconfident in your child because they “know how to swim” (the doggy paddle is not swimming)
- Don’t assume because adults are around that your children are “safe”
- Designate a “water watcher” to keep an eye on all children in the pool
- Learn CPR with mouth-to-mouth breathing
- Learn more about water safety
Did you know…
- Five to ten percent of drowning survivors suffer permanent brain damage
- Drowning can occur in an instant, remember, a lifeguard is watching so many people at once that he/she can miss something that happens so fast
- Drowning can be silent. Unlike what we’ve seen in movies, children do not always flail their arms around and scream for help.
Hacienda HealthCare Water Safety Kit
Hacienda HealthCare provides Safety Kits to members of the community to engage families in learning more about water safety with fun, educational materials.
SHARE them with…
Your friends | Family | Other parents | Hand them out at your next pool party!
Water Safety and Drowning Prevention:
Links to local and national resources for drowning prevention:
Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona
National Drowning Prevention Alliance
Drowning Prevention Downloads:
Simple Steps to Pool Safety
Free Swimming Lessons:
Hubbard Family Swim School
Ages: 8 weeks through 5 months
Aspire Kids Sports Center
FREE baby splash class
Ages: 4-9 months
Swim Kids AZ
Ages: 2-7 months
Mesa Aquatics Club
FREE Learn to Swim Program
Scottsdale Fire Department
Glendale Fire Department
*Source: 2018 Phoenix Drowning Incidents To Date (updated 7/9/18), Total Incidents: 27 (6 adults / 21 children), Total Fatalities: 6 (4 adults / 2 children); https://www.phoenix.gov/fire/safety-information/home/water